Certified Skin & Wound Specialist
Exam format: 135 questions
Certification duration: 5 years
Prior to applying for certification the candidate must have met the following requirements:
- A minimum of two years of experience in a hospital setting or outpatient facility with training as a Wound Care Assistant or equivalent clinical position
- A minimum of 200 hours of clinical wound care training and active practice experience per year for the prior 2 years
- Copy of Certificate of Completion of 12 CME/CEU Wound Care Credits
- Completion of Core Competencies in Wound Care, verified and endorsed by your employer, Medical Director or Program Manager validating your clinical experience detailed in the Core Competency Checklists
Positions Eligible to Apply for Examination:
- Hyperbaric Technician
- Diver Medical Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Respiratory Therapist
- Certified Nurse Aide
- EMT Paramedic
- Life Support Technician
- Physician Assistant
- Registered Nurse or LPN
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physical Therapist
The Certified Skin & Wound Specialist (CSWS) examination will confer competency as a wound care specialist.
The following areas are included in the knowledge and skill domains that are evaluated during the certification process:
- Basic Wound Knowledge
- Patient Assessment & Care Skills
- Wound Care Procedures
- Wound Care Regulations
Each candidate will be required to have all competency checklists signed (by the Program Manager or Medical Director) to document knowledge and clinical skill competence in the required areas. These checklists must be submitted with the CSWS Application.
You will need to take the examination within a year’s timeframe of receiving your approval letter. Failing to test within one year will result in the loss of your examination fee.
The ABWH Certified Skin & Wound Care Specialist Examination is endorsed by the American Professional Wound Care Association. Successful completion of the examination process allows the special recognition and distinction as a Certified Skin & Care Specialist, and use of the designation CSWS.
Questions? Contact Us.